Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Blog Post 3


Peer Editing and Peer Editing With Perfection Tutorial
In this tutorial, I learned so much that will help me in EDM 310 and in my future classroom. I am so glad I got to watch this video so I can teach my students the importance of peer editing, and how to correctly use it. My students will need constructive criticism, and it is very important they know how to peer edit without hurting other children's feelings. It will be my responsibility as a teacher to explain how the peer editing process works and make sure it does not lead to unnecessary behavior. One important rule I will teach my students is positive feedback and giving compliments. I believe every student should feel confident in their work. No student wants to hear how awful they did or how ugly something looks. There are ways to nicely tell students what they need to improve on. For example: "Wow! You did such a nice job coloring your picture, but next time let's try to stay in the lines a little better." This way, the student feels great in their work, and knows what to improve on next time.
Writing Peer Reviews Top 10 Mistakes
These children are hilarious and certainly know what they are talking about. I loved the code names like "Mean Margeret" and "Picky Patty" to help identify the ways negative peer reviewing can be done. I thought that was so cute! Positivity was brought up when different scenarios were brought up, which brought back my point on why being positive is very important. I thought each example was great and everyone should be thoughtful when it comes to peer editing. I took many notes on this video, and I am going to prevent these mistakes from happening in my career and in my classroom.
Inspirational quote on chalkboard

4 comments:

  1. "...not lead to unnecessary behavior. " Unnecessary? I do not think that is what you mean here.

    "...what they need to improve on." Omit on.

    Will you be able to find your notes? I wouldn't!

    Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Strange,
    Yes sir, I do believe I will be able to find my notes. I am a very organized person. I keep all of my helpful work separated in a different binder labeled with colored tabs for my future classroom. It will help me better prepare myself when I start teaching independently. Thank you for looking over my post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ***removed original to make some changes!
    Ashlyn,

    I enjoyed reading your post. You definitely showed knowledge on what peer editing is and how to do effectively peer edit. I agree, complimenting a student and then letting them know what they can improve is an excellent way to make sure that what is being said isn't taken negatively. I always remember to add an extra compliment to the end of that though. I think that it's great that you took notes on the video. You can easily show that video in class or create some word art that depicts all the ways to not peer edit.

    ReplyDelete