Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Blog Post 13


What are some effective ways you can teach Special Education children in the classroom?

1.) Watch this video: Teaching Special Education

2.) Watch this video: Tips for a Special Education Classroom

3.) Read this article: Effective Teaching Strategies for Special Education

4.) Write a post on what you have learned about to effectively teach Special Education students. Is it something you are interested in?

Growing up, I knew I wanted to be a first grade teacher. I had made my mind made up, and there was no way anyone could make me change it. My senior year of high school, I was a fourth grade assistant, and I was able to work with two special needs children. At the time, I was completely lost and had no idea what I was doing or how to work with them. As the year progressed, I was starting to understand how to talk to them, teach them, and explain things in the way they would understand. About a month or so in their classroom, the teacher relied on me to teach them everything they were falling behind on. They were becoming more dependent on me, which was completely fine, because I absolutely loved being able to help and teach those sweet students. I realized that first grade was not my calling, Special Education is. I did not want to graduate and leave those sweet, smart, hysterical children behind. I love being able to go back to my home town and see their sweet faces, and hear their stories of how much they love school and their teachers. It puts the biggest smile on my face seeing special needs children becoming such inspirations not only to me, but in the classroom. Yes, it can be a very challenging job, but it is definitely the biggest reward you can receive.

Teaching Special Education Mrs. Vogelsorg knew she wanted to be a Special Education teacher since she was in middle school. In this video, she admits that there are days when there is a challenge of small progress being made and days when they are all progressing. She says incorporating the Smart Board in the classroom really gets the students attention and it is a positive and fun thing for them.

Tips for a Special Education Classroom Krista Blessing is a Special Education pre-school teacher. She list very important tips on how to run a Special Education Classroom: step up your room and make sure you have adaptive materials for your students, be aware of children's responses incase a certain scent makes them upset, talk to parents to see what upsets the students and what makes them happy, and follow the IEP's.

In the article, Effective Teaching Strategies for Special Education, I learned many strategies for Special Education. It is very important that the teachers allow a break in-between assignments to let the students refocus and re-gain their concentration. Also, adding creativity to your classroom, lessons, and homework will help them become more advanced in the classroom.

Image that says all children can learn with animated pictures of boys and girls under it

No comments:

Post a Comment