Monday, November 17, 2014

Blog Post #14


I chose Ken Robinson's The Importance of Creativity video. I believe creativity is very important and should be apart of every schools classroom. My process of picking out which video I wanted was looking at the title. Since I strongly encourage creativity in the classroom, I knew it was a video I would be interested in. I was right! It is definitely a very important, interesting teaching video.

As Sir Ken Robinson states, all kids have tremendous talents and we have a tendency to shut them down. He also states, "If you're not prepared to be wrong, you will never come up with anything original." I played this quote four times because I found it to be very inspiring. As students start growing older, they get embarrassed from being wrong and are becoming followers, not leaders. Instead of teaching our students it is okay to mess up, some education systems are teaching them that mistakes are the worse things you can make, and educating them out of their creativity zones. He also made a good point that every education school system around the world has the same subjects and mainly focus on math and languages, and at the bottom are the humanities and the arts. He used the example dancing. There is not a school in the world that teaches dance like they do math, and I believe that is taking them away from using their creativity.

I will allow my students to use their creativity in my classroom. I believe allowing them to do so will boost their self esteems, become more involved in the classroom, and become more fluent within the arts. What many teachers do not realize is that there are numerous ways to encourage your students to use their creativity and are able to include it in a math, reading, or science lesson. Humanities and Art is very important and should be taking seriously in the classroom.
I was a student who absolutely hated PE class. I despised running a mile around the football field, push up competitions, and being sweaty with the boys. It was just not my thing. I am currently taking HS 365, and I have learned to love PE and value how much it really helps our students. There are so many fun ways to incorporate fun PE activities such as jump roping, swinging, playing with the parachute, and racing on the scooters to allow our students to let loose and give them the exercise they need. Being in a classroom all day can get boring, and our students become tired and do not want to focus on their work, and that is where these fun, creative PE activities come in. I believe it boost our students creativity, and it is something all teachers should keep in mind.

Image of a quote that says Creativity is now important in education as literacy with colored crayon scribbles in the back

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ashlyn, very good job on explaining the importance of creativity!!

    ReplyDelete